It’s the start of a brand new month in Pokémon GO which means players may be fighting against The Team GO Rocket boss Giovanni Once again. He will have Shadow Ho-Oh as his last fighter for the entire month, offering a challenge with what may be a brilliant reward. If you want to know how to catch Shadow Ho-Oh, the real question is how to find and defeat Giovanni, the Team GO Rocket Boss in Pokémon GO for July 2021.
How to find Team GO Rocket Boss Giovanni
Before you can defeat Giovanni you must first find him. This can be pretty easy if you have the tools to do it. What’s this? It’s the Super Rocket Radar that you can get from various specialty and time research quests. We’re still waiting for a new one to hit the market, but for now, players can complete the early stages of the A Seven Colored Shadow special research quest to get one.
Once you have it, just activate it and Giovanni is not far from it. You can either leave it active and just check out the Team GO Rocket PokéStops that appear near you, along with any balloons floating past. With that you will eventually find it, but you may want to tap the Super Rocket Radar to use it to locate potential stops where it is. Visit them and one will be the right one, but some can be decoys. Just keep looking and you will eventually find Giovanni. Once you do, just be prepared with a solid team of counters.
How to beat Giovanni in July 2021
Team GO Rocket Boss Giovanni doesn’t change teams often, but Pokémon GO players who haven’t battled him in the last month might be surprised in July 2021. That’s because he switched to Shadow Ho-Oh, but all the usual tips still apply. Just like with the Team GO Rocket Leaders, you should try to burn down both of its shields as quickly as possible. And with that comes the tip to always put your actual first Pokémon in the second or third position and switch to them as soon as possible. This delays Giovanni’s attacks, as does the use of a charged attack against him. Use this to enable your counters as listed below.
As always, Giovanni begins his battles with Persians in July 2021
- Tyranitar with smack down and crunch
- Lucario with counter and aura sphere
- Giratina (changed) with shadow claw and dragon claw
- Machamp with Counter and Dynamic Punch
- Breloom with counterattack and dynamic punch
Next, you’ll have to fight either Kangaskhan, Nidoking, or Garchomp.
- Togekiss with charm and flamethrower
- Dragonite with dragon breath and dragon claw
- Gyarados with dragon breath and crunch
- Landorus (Therian) with mud shot and earthquake
- Giratina (changed) with dragon breath and dragon claw
- Empoleon with waterfall and hydro cannon
- Jirachi with confusion and wish for doom
- Gyarados with waterfall and aqua tail
- Kyogre with waterfall and surf
- Excadrill with mud shot and drill run
- Togekiss with charm and radiant shine
- Gardevoir with charm and radiant shine
- Alolan Ninetails with powder snow and weather ball (ice)
- Sylveon with charm and moonblast
- Articuno with frost breath and ice jet
Eventually you will meet Shadow Ho-Oh, who replaced Zapdos in the middle of last month. He will be the final opponent and a potential catch chance in July 2021.
Shadow Ho-Oh Counter
- Swampert with mud shot and hydro cannon
- Raikou with Volt Switch and Wild Charge
- Mew with volt switch and surf
- Kyogre with waterfall and surf
- Thundurus (Therian) with shock of thunder and clap of thunder
And this is how you find and defeat Giovanni in Pokémon GO for July 2021.
– This article was updated on: 30. June 2021